If you’re like me, I can’t stop touching myself…
That’s of course with my new Purewave handheld massager!
Seriously, after using it for over a month- I’m sold on these portable devices.
And after doing a bit of research, turns out there some other great massagers on the market.
Here’s my top picks!
My Favorite Handheld Massager
- Recommended by professionals, including chiropractors, physical therapists and sports therapists
- Its dual motor design provides powerful percussion and micro-vibration massage therapy
- Professional grade handheld massager, safe for home use
Our top choice is the Purewave CM-07. What sets the Purewave cm-07 apart from the competition is their patented dual motor design, which offers two very different kinds of experience.
For deep tissue massage, you can choose its powerful percussive therapy. For more delicate areas, like the face, try the soothing micro-vibration setting; it got high marks as a facial massager.
Plenty of customers rave that Purewave is good for regular muscle. But you should also give it a try if you need to increase your circulation or break down scar tissue.
For those looking for a lightweight portable massage device, Purewave does great in this department. It is specially designed to get to hard-to-reach areas like the back and legs, and elderly users appreciated the longer handle.
The majority of users rave that it helps them with everything from achy necks to plantar fasciitis to cramped legs.
Purewave is battery operated, so don’t worry about getting tangled in messy cords. However some users reported problems with the charger and report that the device doesn’t hold a charge for very long. Others say they wish it were a plug-in device.
If you are experiencing different kinds of pain or want to share the massager with a family member, you’ll benefit from the multiple attachment heads that allow for specialized massage in different body parts, and according to the type of pain you might be experiencing.
Purewave offers free returns for 90 Days and a total satisfaction guarantee, so don’t be afraid to try it out and see if it works for you.
What we like
- Different attachment heads
- Facial massage feature
- Adjustable speeds
What we dislike
- Unreliable charging
- Short battery life
- Unpredictable customer service
Runner Up Massager
- The Nekteck boasts 8 deep-kneading shiatsu massage heads that soothe tense muscles, while its versatile design allows you to concentrate on whatever area of your body you choose.
- Comes with 6-foot AC adapter that makes it usable at home, in the office, or in your car car (car adapter included).
- Heating function allows more efficient massage yet is safe to use thanks to its manual off-switch.
- With three custom speed modes, enjoy a customized deep tissue massage, while the direction control mimics the feeling of in-person massage experience.
This Shiatsu massage pillow will help melt your neck, back and shoulder tension. It even works on your feet according to some users, with its 8 deep-kneeding massage heads.
For some users, it is slightly awkward to use on your back, however, and they do not recommend lying down on it and instead only using it while seated. Users have found it highly therapeutic, even for chronic conditions like fibromyalgia.
You can get increased relief thanks to an optional heating feature with a built-in over-heating prevention mechanism that powers down after fifteen minutes for safe usage.
This pillow is not cordless, however, so you will need to have access to an outlet or car charger. The remote control makes operation a snap.
Despite its slightly higher cost ($40), users widely agree that it is absolutely worth the price and performs better than higher cost massagers.
What we like
- High quality, deep tissue massage
- Excellent customer service
- Versatility of uses
What we don’t like
- It’s not quite the same as an in-person massage
- Awkward when attempting to use positions other than seated
- Some users reported issues with durability
Best Professional Handheld Massager
- Pleno deep tissue massager increases lymphatic flow and reduces lactic acid which helps relieve muscle fatigue.
- Scientifically proven vibration frequency increases blood flow, and significantly shortens muscle recovery time.
- It has a six-speed adjustable design for different frequencies.
- The handheld design and varied tip attachments allow you to easily reach every muscle, trigger point, even your scar tissue, whether on your back, neck, foot, leg, knot, thigh, hip, arm.
Users agree that this percussion massager works to break down deep tissue adhesions. The well-made, hand-held device is very effective for managing chronic pain, and even athletes claim that they have felt measurable benefits from its use as knots melt away beneath the powerful head.
A larger number users report that it the percussion massage is too loud to be truly relaxing, while others say they got used to the noise after a short time. Some even recommend trying earplugs!
What we like
- Uncomparably powerful massage
- Trigger point release thanks to versatile massage heads
What we dislike
- Noise, noise, noise
- The hefty price tag
Other Recommended Back Massagers
The RENPHO is notable for its powerful motor and long-lasting battery. It promises to help customers relieve pain in shoulders, neck, back, joints, foot, leg, and calves. Some users note that it is not ideal for the feet. They found it surprisingly powerful, especially for its compact size.
If you want a smaller, more discrete massager, check out the Shibari Mini Halo Massager. It has countless enthusiastic fans who swear it makes them feel more relaxed and happy than any other massager on the market. A few complain that it is not as silent as promised, but they appreciate its waterproof feature. Others say it is confusing to charge it.
For a spa-like experience in the comfort of your own home, try the Zyllion.
The Zyllion can be used for numerous body parts, working well on shoulders and legs for sciatica. It even works in an office chair. While most users had positive experiences, praising its excellent value and customer service, some noted problems in durability, heating and holding a charge.
The Wahl has enthusiastic users who praise this economical handheld massager for its incredible power, compared to others on the market. It can be effectively used on feet, and people praised its ability to relieve nerve pain.
Some note that it can get loud when used on a more intense setting. A few users complained about its relatively short life.
If you want to make massage a part of your daily routine, live a more active life, and recover faster from your exercise routine, you might benefit from one of these massagers.
In addition to providing relief for achy muscles, they can provide stress relief, and even give the benefits of acupressure and myofascial release.
Features of Portable Massagers
What kind of massage you prefer?
- Based on the Japanese tradition, shiatsu massage works by focusing on pressure points. You can choose your level of intensity, and unless you have had a back injury, any healthy person can benefit from shiatsu.
- Kneading massage can be achieved with massage head attachments, and you can increase the pressure by pushing more firmly with your hands. This is the best kind of massage for tight muscles, pain relief, and increasing your muscles’ flexibility.
- If you like constant pressure, rolling massage might be for you. It is commonly found among handheld massagers, and can be low or medium impact, which means it works well for most people.
Another important variable to consider are the available heat settings, if any. Because heat relaxes muscles, it makes them more open to being relaxed during the massage. Heat also improves circulation. An added advantage is that it reduces the chance of injury during your massage.
Finally, does your massager offer versatility, like all of our top products? The first place to look is the included massage head attachments: how many are included and what kind. The second thing to consider is where there are adjustable settings for pressure or type of massage.